Drivers face some level of risk once they get behind the wheel. But no matter how careful one acts, there’s still a chance they could get in a wreck.
According to the National Safety Council, car collisions continue to be one of the leading preventable fatalities in the United States with a 1 in 103 chance of death. There are several ways someone could get severely injured or killed while operating a motor vehicle.
Reasons for automobile crashes
The following are common causes:
- Distracted driving: Many people think distracted driving is limited only to electronic devices. However, there are several ways motorists end up not paying attention to the road. Distracted driving can include gazing at scenery or reaching for a fallen object. Even one wrong move could result in serious injury or death.
- Driving under the influence: A DUI is a criminal offense in every state and if someone is caught operating a motor vehicle while impaired, they could face serious consequences. According to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, alcohol-related crashes killed 190 people and injured 2900 drivers back in 2015.
- Incorrect turns: Making errors is part of being human, but a lapse in judgment on the road could result in a traumatic collision. Whether a driver moves into the wrong turn lane or goes against traffic on a one-way street, people should take extra precaution when making quick decisions.
- Deer crossing: As deer mating season occurs between October and December, drivers can expect plenty of them crossing the road during this time. But their instincts sometimes cause them to stop dead in their tracks. Drivers should make sure they slow down in areas where they know there are a lot of deer crossing.
- Running red lights: Most people don’t like having to wait at traffic lights. However, trying to beat the odds doesn’t always work out in motorists’ favor. Even if it’s an accident, drivers can put themselves and others in significant danger if they run a red light.
Car crashes can cause hardship
Those who have been in a car crash understand the pain and agony it can cause them and their families. Those who have been critically injured or killed in a motor vehicle wreck may want to contact an experienced personal injury attorney in Wisconsin. They can evaluate their claims, take their case to court and get them the compensation they deserve.